Wednesday, July 20, 2011

disability, ministry, and theology

I have had opportunity recently to review my ministry activities for several reasons. I needed to provide a summary for my ordination committee; and I needed to provide some biographical information for some workshops I recently led. In doing this review, I realized that my activities have focused heavily on disability-related issues and very little on other issues. This is something that I would like to see change in the future; but I think that it will have to come in time. The more I so activities in the realm of disability-related ministry, the more I become a respected leader in this area. This creates a dilemma of sorts for me. It is a good thing, on one hand; and I must be willing to do what God gives me the skill and opportunity to do. On the other hand, good disability ministry models real integration and reconciliation. If I do not have balance between a ministry in which I preach reconciliation and other ministries in my life, I give lip service to my own message.

A few tidbits to ponder... My thoughts often scatter in numerous directions as I attempt to sit down and write meaningfully about disability and theology. Perhaps in time I will find a way to give them better form. Oh yeah... That isn't my job at all.., is it. My job is only to give the voice, and to listen for the form that God gives.

No comments:

Post a Comment